Thursday, October 15, 2009

Help for essay question and other questions on the test

You may want to make a sensory image chart (like the one below) on the ploys the author used to convey the horror the narrator and his colleagues were facing.

Sounds Heard
scratching
screeching cries
grating teeth
screams that were sharper than the howl of a saw attacking a bar of iron

Smells
fetid odor of the beasts

Sights
army of rats
rats swarmed
furry mantel
their red, beady eyes

A few things to remember:
1. The author made the rats seem human like by showing you they were concerned about each other, for example when he said their comrades greeted them with shrill cries.
2. The key word for foreshadowing is to dream.
3. The detail that lets you believe the story will be a frightening one is the history of the island.
4. Since the story is filled with suspense, it makes the reader feel anxious curiosity.
5. The scene that did NOT create any suspense. was when the men had looked through the glasses and saw a barge.
6.Remember what happens to each of the characters at the end of the story.
7. The lighthouse keepers never set fire to the lighthouse.
8. The narrator took the job on the island because it paid well and he needed money before he got married.
9. Ships do not usually go through the waters by this island because it is too treacherous.
10. The narrator has tears in his eyes because he hates to see the Cornelius de Witt (ship) wrecked.
11. When the narrator described the window in the lantern room, he made the glass seem so thick that it would keep the rats out.
12. The rats get inside the lighthouse through the metal sheeting that was sealing the window because it gave way.
13. The crew of the first patrol boat look horrified because the light is completely covered by a seething mass of rats.
14. The narrator convinces us that the rats are the worst possible sort by giving us the story about the 2 terrier dogs on the Dutch ship that were eaten up by the rats.


Hopefully that helps especially for people in period 2, but period 2 you must finish the story on your own tonight.

24 comments:

BryanL Per. 4 said...

Thank you Ms. Gladden for posting this!! This will help me greatly on the test!!

DavidR Per.3 said...

Thank You Ms.Gladden this will help my a lot

Ms. Gladden said...

Your welcome. You must be the only 2 who are looking on the blog. Interesting. I may add more about the test when I get home from the gym at 8:30. So see if you can go back on.

LindseyOper4 said...

thanks Ms. Gladden I am shure that your post will help me on the test!! :) I will check again after 8:30

Muhammad Timbo said...

Thank you Ms.Gladden this will help a lot

Eric X. Per. 3 TA said...

Ms. Gladden,
This will help a lot for the test!
Thanks.

Rachel C.Per 6 said...

Thanks Ms.Gladden the test will be a lot easier knowing what's on it. I'll check at 8:30 too.

Rachel C.Per 6 said...

Ms.Gladden, for the essay question, how many paragraphs do we have to write, or is it more of a couple of sentences question? When do we make the chart? On the test or now? I don't think we could use it during the test, unless you let us.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ms. Gladden for giving us some hints for the test tomorrow!=)

Anonymous said...

thanks sooooooooo much Ms. Gladden
i think that it will help me a lot on the test tommarow

MLYHOOPS said...

hi is anyone on
you guts said you would go back on at 830

MLYHOOPS said...

mrs gladden are you there. thank you for some tips for the test. hopefully that will help me.

LindseyOper4 said...

what is the essay ? on. the story?? i dont rememeber anything about a essay ?

Kori:] said...

Thanks Mrs Gladden! this will help me out ALOT tommorow on the quiz!:]

Rachel C.Per 6 said...

I mean on the essay question she gave us the chart for. It says "Help for the essay question and other questions on the test"

Rachel C.Per 6 said...

(I was talking to Lindsey)

LindseyOper4 said...

so the essay ? is the chart for the root words or the sensory chart that she posted on the blog

Kori:] said...

im not sure. im wondering the same thing.

Ms. Gladden said...

Sorry I didn't get on at 8:30, but I had already posted everything before I went to the gym. The paragraph you will have to write will be about the story and I gave you helpful hints on blog as to the chart you should remember while writing that paragraph. The other statements I put on the blog will help you for the rest of the story part of the test. Since you guys all looked at the blog, don't share it with those who have not taken the time to look for themselves. Thanks.

LindseyOper4 said...

ok thanks again Ms. Gladden

♫♪Michelle H.♪♫ said...

wow Ms. Gladden
this really helped me a lot
but during the test, some I forgot about.

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH.... I should have checked this last night!!! X(
Im gonna check this blog everyday from now on.

lizzie :D said...

hello ppl! im bored during 6th period!!! hooray for blogging!

Jen Chen said...

Can't believe I wasn't able to go on that night, now my score is terrible