Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Help for the Flyer in Computer Lab

Please bring all your materials to class on Thursday as we will create a rough draft for this project. You must remember what you have written in the computer lab already. We will only have one more day in the lab to get it done. You must show me your rough draft to get into lab next Tuesday.

Parents, please do not help your child with this assignment as I would like to see what they are capable of creating on their own. They have been studying Roman History in Social Studies classes and I have been teaching them how to use Micro Soft Word, so they will need to create this at school in the lab. Thank you for your cooperation.

Remember the "When" in your Flyer needs to be in Roman Numerals.

Here are the Roman Numerals you need to use for your date on the Flyer.

I =1
V=5
X=10
L=50
C=100
D=500
M=1000

II = 2
VI = 6
XX = 20
LXX = 70
CCXXIII = 223
MDCLXVIII = 1668

Additive Property: Add up the symbols to get the number.

IV = 4
IX = 9
XIV = 14
XIX = 19
XXIX = 29
XL = 40
XC = 90
CD = 400
CM = 900

Subtractive Property: The symbol before is less than the one after, it is subtractive, in certain circumstances. Does not always work easily.

For example:
99 = XCIX NOT IC
49 = XLIX NOT IL
999 = CMXCIX NOT IM

15 comments:

Amie:] said...

Thanks this is helpful! Yay first to comment!

tonycper6cmms2011 said...

Thank you Ms. Gladden, really needed help with the roman numerals
=)

Jordyn C. Per.4 said...

Hi Ms.Gladden!
I'm a little confused about our homework for the rough draft of the flyer. What exactly are we supposed to do?

Jordyn C. Per.4 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jordyn C. Per.4 said...

Oh yeah, and for som reason my computer let me take the practce quiz but then won't let me submit my answers.

Rachel C.Per 6 said...

Dear Jordyn,
We're just supposed to bring all the stuff we need, like our Social studies book and the info. we need for our flyer.

Ms. Gladden said...

I just want everyone to be ready to use the skills I taught them to use in Microsoft Word instead of looking for information on the internet. We only had 1 week to learn the skills and then 2 weeks to create the project using those skills. So, I would like you to have a hand written rough draft ready to just type up in the computer lab next Tuesday our last day in the lab. The project won't be due until October 23rd, however, next Tuesday is the last class time you will get. You can use the lab at lunch and before school on Tuesday.

MargauxNPer5 said...

I don't get roman numerals!! How do I make the number 80???

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MargauxNPer5 said...

Anyone here??

lizzie :D said...

yeah, i REALLY don't get roman numerals. i thought that I meant 10. Oops!
-Lizzie :D

Jen Chen said...

I wonder why there are deleted comments?

MargauxNPer5 said...

does ANYONE know how to make the number 80 in roman numerals?

MargauxNPer5 said...

never mind i got it!!:-)

CarloG said...

Anyone know answer for number 5 second page of todays homework?